Did Your Employer Wrongfully Retaliate Against You?
Employment and labor laws provide employees in California with a number of important rights. Unfortunately, sometimes, employees who try to exercise these rights experience adverse effects at work for doing so. This could constitute unlawful retaliation on the part of your employer, and it is important to discuss the situation with a Walnut Creek employment attorney right away.
Reasons for Unlawful Retaliation
Employees should be able to freely exercise certain rights in the workplace without facing consequences by their employers. Some reasons for retaliation that are unlawful include for:
- Complaining of unlawful discrimination
- Complaining of unlawful harassment that causes a hostile work environment
- Seeking unpaid wages or overtime pay
- Reporting miscalculations of hours worked or other payroll errors
- Filing a workers’ compensation claim (that you believe to be valid)
- Requesting or taking qualified family and medical leave
- Requesting reasonable accommodations for disabilities or religious practice
- Reporting unethical or illegal conduct of your employer
- Refusing to engage in unethical or illegal conduct as requested by your employer
If you engage in any of the above – or other action protected by the law – and your employer retaliates against you, the company should be held liable for the losses you incurred. Retaliation can take many forms, such as:
- Denial of a deserved promotion
- Denial of a deserved pay increase
- Undesirable transfers or shifts
- Having your hours or shifts reduced
- Harassment or other mistreatment
- Disciplinary action
If you believe you were subject to unlawful retaliation at work, you should speak with an employment attorney right away.
Contact an Unlawful Retaliation Lawyer in Walnut Creek
At the law firm of Ratner Molineaux, LLP, we represent employees who have their rights violated by employers. Contact us online or call 925.438.0381 to speak with a Walnut Creek unlawful retaliation attorney as soon as possible.